Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Shrug Jacket: A Lesson in Patience

I did it again - fell in love with a pattern and didn't give any thought to the process of knitting.  This is the Shrug Jacket from the 2013 Spring/Summer Debbie Bliss Magazine.  The yarn is an amazingly lovely pale, dusty blue in a blend of 85% cotton, 10% silk and 5% cashmere.  It is a great weight to ward off the chill of the air conditioner or walking along the beach after sunset. 

Still, with so much that is wonderful about this jacket, it tried my patience greatly.  I recalled that prayer, "Lord, give me patience and give it to me know" a few times while knitting the more than 1700 yards of moss stitch for this project.  For those of you who are not knitters, this means that for each stitch I moved my yarn forward and backward of the needles, basically doubling my hand motion.  Do you recall the Gaither song lyrics: Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry.  When you get impatient, you only start to worry.  Remember, remember that God is patient too and think of all the times when others have to wait for you? Yep, as this gets lodged in your mind it becomes a decent chant for knitting, setting a great rythym to knit moss stitch by and serves as a nearly constant reminder to practice the patience you want God and others to grant you.
Yet, our Father taught me the joy of perservering.  Don't give up.  Understand that you aren't walking alone and that God has a blessing/lesson for you at the end of the path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.