Thursday, March 21, 2013

Beaded Knit Shawl



I have been doing some knitting for myself following a season of knitting for others.  I'd discovered this pattern for a beaded lace shawl in the Knit Red book.  The book proceeds support heart health and have many lovely donated patterns.  I choose this pattern by Andrea Jurgrau almost immediately.  Although I'd never before knit with beads, I can't imagine working this pattern without them.  The yarn used is Madeline Tosh: Tosh Merino Light in the colorway Torchere.  I used red glass beads which have silver linings.  There are over 650 beads just on the bottom edge! After some aggressive blocking, the final shawl measures around 30 inches to the center point and about 70 inches across, excluding the scallops.  I put about 50 hours total knitting into this shawl, with the bindoff taking 5 hours to add those 654 beads.  Still, it's kinda like childbirth - now that it is done, I'm so happy with it that the time it took to bindoff is just a memory.

1 comment:

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.