Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sausage and Rice

One of the first recipes I learned from my mother-in-law is a sausage and rice cassarole.  I have adapted it a bit, and this is my version of a great meal that works for the family table, to have in the freezer as a quick meal to share with one in need, or to have in place of a standard breakfast treat.



What you need:
1 pound mild sausage
diced onion
chopped celery
diced peppers (I use Hatch Green Chiles but you can also use the milder green bell pepper)
soy sauce
rice

How to put it together - brown and drain the sausage.  Meanwhile, prepare the veggies and cook the rice.  I like my celery chopped fairly large to add texture to the finished dish.  Remove the sausage.  Saute the veggies until onions are clear.  Add back the sausage.  Add the cooked rice.  Pour a 1/4 cup of soy sauce (adjust to taste) over the mixture and simmer until moisture is nearly gone.

I serve this directly from the stovetop.  If you want to freeze it for another time (or if you made two so you can have one now and freeze one for later), put the mixture to freeze in an appropriate pan, pour a can of condensed chicken and rice soup over this and cover with foil.  Freeze.  Thaw before cooking - 30 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.















No comments:

Post a Comment

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.