Saturday, January 12, 2013

Selfish Knitting










January is a time when knitter's thoughts turn a bit selfish.  It's unofficially "international knit for yourself month" deemed so after most of us have spent the past several months knitting for others to have as Christmas gifts.  This year, I'm embracing this celebration whole-heartedly!  I've already finished one project for myself, started a second and have a few more planned.

This is the Wool Tree Cowl.  It is a kit I picked up on my first visit to The Lucky Ewe Yarn Store in the Texas Hill Country.  The kit contained the yarn, buttons, pattern and a fun canvas bag. The pattern makes up this duel-sided, soft cowl with a luxurious touch. The merino wool and cashmere blend yarn is unique and exclusive to the store.  It is dyed using natural items found from local nature walks.  The label indicates, "The yarn is made for The Lucky Ewe Yarns and is 'dyed by nature'. Wool Tree Yarns are an amalgamation of true love for high quality natural fibers and the beauty of natural dyes. Our colors are seasonal according to what dye plants are available for harvest. Local fiber artists Cris Parker and Casey Galloway use ancient knowledge to kettle dye each skein over an open fire. Due to the nature of natural dyeing, it is very difficult to obtain perfect consistency between dye baths making each color way a one-of-a-kind.”  The store was very generous, allowing me to personally select my cowl colors. 

I've also started on my Ten Stitch Twist wrap/blanket.  It's an extremely versatile project because it works with whatever size and type yarn you want and is as large as you have the time, yarn and desire to make it.  I'm planning on making mine LARGE!  It starts with making the round center which leads out to the spirals circling around and around.  This is the end of my first ball of yarn. I have 14 to use. 

4 comments:

  1. You are gonna have fun with the spiral knitting..I did the one that squares up more and loved how fast it seems to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ate you going to use different brands or yarn or all oddballs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you be using oddballs or a single brand/type of yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BR, I'm using Plymouth Yarns Gina but in a couple very similar colorways since the store was short on all color.

    ReplyDelete

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.