Saturday, December 22, 2012

(Home)Made in America

It was late spring when I decided what I was going to do for the ladies in my family for their Christmas gifts.  It all started with the heartbreaking death of my niece, Amy, who lost her battle with Cystic Fibrosis on Easter Sunday.  It was only weeks before her 23rd birthday.  Wanting to do something to bring a bit of comfort to her Mom, I knitted this pink shawl as a "hug" for her to wrap up in and remind her of being loved.  There is a lot of symbolism worked into the shawl.  Once I had completed it, it seemed only natural to knit a shawl for each of the ladies in my family.  Shawls were gifted as I had the time to deliver them, so I didn't think to get a photo of all these creations together. 


This red one is a gift for my husband's doctor, a special family friend.  It is the "I Heart Lace" pattern.


My mom and mother-in-law got the same pattern but in differing colors.  This is the Lilac Leaves pattern by Felicia Lo, knit in Madtosh Merino Light.





 These next shawls are gifts to my sisters. 

                                                    
The blue "Twigs" shawl is for Jan.

The Snowflake shawl is in purple, Sharon's favorite color.




This Scalloped Shell Shawl in two shades of green/blue was knit for Jenny. 


The previous three wraps were knit with merino wool fibers.

This multi-colored Azzu's Shawl was knit for Brandy in a discontinued Noro blend with cotton and silk.



I did get a shawl knit for my daughter.  She requested one knit in "denim" type fiber.  I found this lovely blue to fit the bill and knit up this Helen Bingham shawl for her to wear with her jeans. 

Unfortunately, the only shawl I didn't get finished in time to gift for the holidays is the one she found when we went to the Texas State Fair.  I lack about a third of the motifs, an edging and the blocking.  Still, I think the colors on this Sagrintino Shawl are working out beautifully.  I need another couple days knitting and it will be ready for her to receive.    

     

It wasn't only knitting for gifts.  This year I completed two shawls for myself - the grey Kaw Valley Shawl and the bluebonnet inspired Color Affection Shawl.                                                                                                                                                                                               
  I was blessed to be able to do a bit of knitting for others who enjoy shawls as much as I enjoy knitting them.




It's obvious that I enjoy knitting and to share my work with others brings me great delight.  I hope that you see some lovely items which inspire your creativity.  Since I pray for the recepient as I knit, it is my prayer that each shawl brings comfort and joy to each one of them.

1 comment:

  1. I so much enjoy seeing all the shawls you knit, Jill. They are so lovely and each has unique touches.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.