Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Gator's Nest

Recently we had a really remarkable day - temps near 80 degrees and sun shining bright in the sky.  The Texas Gulf Coast at it's best for a middle of January day.  On this glorious day, we decided to head out the the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge to see how the alligators were fairing since our recent cold snap.  


I asked my husband if he could back up just a bit as something caught my eye but I was uncertain what exactly it was.  Well, weren't we surprised?!  A cluster of baby gators were enjoying the sunny day.  Most were practicing making a pyramid but a few more adventurous ones decided to swim a couple feet away.  

How many do you count?

I didn't get out because I was uncertain as to momma's location.  We couldn't see her but felt like she was nearby.  My husband shared about this experience with a friend who suggested we look below the cluster and see if they weren't sitting on mom - which is their usual behavior.  Look closely and in a couple photos, you see a large yellow eye just to the front and under the gator pyramid.  Yes, mom was right there the entire time, watching our every move. 



This gator was sitting among the reeds and grasses.  Is it just me, or is that a really long snout? 


We also got to witness the consumption of a fish, swallowed whole.  What a mouth, then neck full.  I bet teeth would have been welcomed in this effort.  

Then as we completed the Shoveler's Pond loop, we witnessed this gator sunbathing. 

As we departed the Refuge, we saw this observant hawk - watching the comings and goings of all.  What a beautiful bird!

I hope that you enjoy these photos but please respect my copyright and do NOT copy, post, share, print or in any way duplicate any of my photographs without my permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.